Monday, November 15, 2004

A beautiful artificial world

My family and I just returned from a 7-day cruise. We stopped in Key West, Belize, Cozumel, and Progreso. The weather was wonderful. Our excursions were (for the most part) excellent. My older daughter has decided that she wants us to live in Cozumel, where the beach is beyond words.

My wife and I were touched, however, by what I'm calling cognitive dissonance. The opulence and decadence of "cruise life" compared with the abject poverty that we saw (especially in Belize) was jarring and unsettling. We in America have been SO blessed! I take so many things for granted.

To state it again, I'm wrestling with my lifestyle addiction. What I mean is this - I fear that I am addicted to my lifestyle, and to take any kind of significant pay cut (perhaps to enter minstry full-time...?) would cause me such pain and heartache specifically due to the lifestyle change that it would require. Anyone out there been down this road? Any guidance?

The longer I live, the more sure I am of this - It's ALL a test of faith. All of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home