Monday, January 02, 2006

Rivers of faith

Happy New Year, everyone!

An early morning run with Lee up Kennesaw Mountain (grunt) is postponed due to severe thunderstorms, so I have a moment to write. The house is still completely quiet (except for the thunder).

Natalie and I are really enjoying our Wednesday Night class at church. We are discussing "convictions" - the aspects of faith for which the early Christians were willing to die, and are there such things for us. As part of discussing our current context, our teacher presented us with a model of faith that I find interesting. It is called "Rivers of Faith" and it purports that everyone's faith comes from four sources, in varying degrees. This is depicted by a lake (in the center) with four feeder rivers (one feeding from each corner).

Emotion
Tradition
Faith
Intuition
Reason

Reason and Tradition were listed on the right side of the board, and Emotion and Intuition on the left. The teacher said (and I agree) that our "tribe" has most definitely focused on the right side of the lake, and even at that, primarily on Reason. This is also true of our congregation. I made the point that most "creative people" live on the left side, so it has been difficult to be that type of person and remain in our tribe. When there is no room (and I mean NO ROOM) for Emotion or Intuition then a creative person can feel like they're asphyxiating slowly. At some point the decision to leave becomes a stewardship-driven decision - I must use my gifts in service to God (by divine command), so I must find a place to do this.

I do believe that our tribe is in flux as it regards this issue. And I consider it to the credit of our teacher and our congregation that we're taking a hard look at such things. While I do know that my convictions in this regard are not in line with many at our congregation, I do still hold on to a little hope that there will be liberty given to disagree, even in practice. I guess we'll see what happens, but for now I'm pleased to be on this road. Patience is hard...

2 Comments:

Blogger jaime s said...

Hey Michael,
I so enjoy working with your sister Melanie here in Fairfax. She referred me to your blog, and I really appreciate this post about the rivers of faith.
Take care,
Murray Sanderson

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, I glad to know this class is encouraging you - whatever you do, don't give up in your pursuit of fully serving God. Blessings to you and Natalie.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home