Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Planning and wrestling...

Ah, financial planning. What a concept!

We're in the process of adapting our current financial plan to the current job situation. My employer has 401k matching (which Evant did not have) so we'll be diving into that for the "free money." We're also changing our college savings plans to 529 plans, which will be a better fit tax- and savings-wise, we think.

I am wrestling (a lot) with thoughts about stewardship and being Jesus to the world. Not so much from a perspective of "guilt" as much as from a perspective of, really, "What would Jesus do?" If Jesus had my income level, my family, my life - would He handle finances like I do? Specifically, this is being driven by thoughts about Christmas - what it has become and how I feel about the way we gift each other (lavishly, transforming wants into "needs"). Part of me is SHOUTING that we should get over ourselves and our wants masquerading as needs, to pursue meeting ACTUAL NEEDS of NEEDY PEOPLE. I loathe myself for wanting things, yet I also loathe the idea of not getting such things. I loathe the way I feel when I do not get something I am expecting - something that is clearly not an actual "need" but a want.

Lord, PLEASE give me wisdom and clarity of vision as I work out my submission to your Spirit in this aspect of my life, and as I try to lead our family in Your way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home