Saturday, October 29, 2005

Silver Comet Half Marathon - DONE!

I ran the Silver Comet Half Marathon this morning. It was a brisk 34 degrees at the start!!! But it turned into a beautiful morning for a run. I stated that my goal was under two hours - based on my prior half marathon. Well, I did a good bit better than that! I finished in 1:47:50! That's an average of 8:14/mile. During the race I was hoping to beat 8 minutes/mile but I ran out of gas with 2.5 miles to go. Perhaps I need to investigate PowerGel or something like that to refuel during a long run. There was only one Gatorade station on the course - every other station was water only. I think I could have used the additional carbs.

Now the search is on for the "next race". Of course, I'm not racing anyone. I'm just trying to learn how to run races. I'm slowly getting better. This half marathon pace was actually faster than my 10K pace on Labor Day. I must include that there were significant hills on that course, whereas the Silver Comet Trail is relatively (very) flat. Still, I'm very pleased with how the race went overall.

2 Comments:

Blogger bibliotecaria said...

Congratulations, bro! I'm very glad to hear it went so well. You inspire me to keep pushing myself with my exercise, too. Do they have 10K walks? (I just plain don't like running. I DO like walking.)

8:15 PM  
Blogger MichaelPolutta said...

Thanks!

Yep, you can usually walk ANY 10K (or any other "race" as well). There is often an extra charge for running the race as a timed entrant, so walking as an untimed entrant would likely cost less.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home