Monday, September 05, 2005

US 10K - DONE!

Today was the 10K. It went well. For fear of oversleeping I had a hard time staying asleep last night. But I was at the starting line bright and early - well, not so bright, the sun wasn't up yet!

My time was just over what I had hoped - 51 minutes. It was SO crowded at the start with people who were walking or running VERY SLOWLY that I was kinda trapped for a while. I joked that I added 1/8 mile to the run just from going sideways to avoid entrapment. I definitely feel I would have been able to meet my 50 minute goal without that hindrance at the start. Oh, well, next time I'll know...

The third hill (up to the South 120 Loop) was the hardest one for me. Windy Ridge and Windy Hill weren't nearly as hard - but the cumulative effect was certainly there. I have to say, though, that the crowd knotted up a bit going up that hill, so I wasn't the only one having to push a bit.

It was a PERFECT day for the run. Clear, cool, just beautiful.

Thanks to all the volunteers who worked to make the day (and the fund raiser) a big success.

So, what's NEXT?!? There is a half-marathon along the Silver Comet Trail on October 29. Also - There is a half-/marathon in Charleston (at Kiawah Island, where I used to be a lifeguard) on Dec. 10. I don't know if the logistics would work out for the Kiawah trip, but I'd really enjoy another half-marathon, and would also like to work up to a full one. I'm sure I could be in better shape...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home