Monday, November 07, 2005

PBC 2006

We had our planning retreat for Palmetto Bible Camp this weekend. There are two primary tasks for the SuperWeek Retreat. We review the past summer's encampment from an operational perspective. We select a theme for next summer's encampment. I'm happy to say that the theme selected for next year is the one I proposed. Here is the overall theme and the proposed daily themes. (I'm sure the "final product" will look quite different from this. It always does...)

Upside Down – The paradoxes of Jesus

1 - First shall be last - Mark 9:35 And He sat down and called the Twelve and said to them, If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.

2 - Slave to be free - 1Cor 7:22 For he who is called a slave in the Lord is a freed man of the Lord. And likewise, he who is called a free man is a slave of Christ.

3 - Die to live - John 11:25 Jesus said to her, I am the Resurrection and the Life! He who believes in Me, though he die, yet he shall live.

4 - Give to get (or "Poor to be rich")- Mark 10:21 Jesus looked closely at the man. He liked him and said, "There's one thing you still need to do. Go sell everything you own. Give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come with me."

5 - Weak to be strong - 2Cor 12:9 And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me.

While there we came up with another paradoxical teaching but I do not have that one in front of me. I'll update this later. Nonetheless, I was very happy that this theme was chosen. The focus when I wrote this out was the counter-cultural message of Jesus must be conveyed AND lived! It will be a most challenging week/year for the staff as we attempt to model in our lives these teachings of Jesus. Please pray for PBC and the work there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home