Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Well, here's a post I never expected to write!

Uh, don't know how else to say it - I had a severe heart attack yesterday!

Yeah, I know!


I was jogging at lunchtime at work. I was about 1.5 miles away from the office and my chest felt like a HEAVY person was standing on it. A few minutes later my left arm felt really strange, right in the crook of my left elbow. Some mild nausea would come and go. I was already sweaty, but it seemed that the level of perspiration was out of proportion with the temp (about 80). Pretty soon I was walking back, but that took a while, as you might expect. At one point I acquiesced to the idea that this may be a heart attack, so I knelt and prayed for Natalie and the girls. I did pause to rest (and steel my will for the rest of the walk) on a bench. All I wanted to do was lie down. Eventually I made my way back to the gym. After a quick trip to the boys room and a QUICK shower I went to my cube and called Natalie, telling of my chest pain. Before I could say, "and I'm about to call for an ambulance," she was saying to call. So I got my first-ever ambulance ride, and am now a hospital patient for the first time since birth!

I had a clot that completely occluded the LAD artery in my heart. The medical nickname for this artery is "The Widowmaker." I have 2 stents in now and my heart has been adjusting to blood flow that it had not been getting. The rhythm has been a bit off due to "reprofusion" - as the muscle gets blood flow again, kinda like when your foot falls asleep. I don't have any significant lifestyle changes to make since this was a clot, rather than a plaque-related blockage.

The medical staff has been great here at Kennestone Hospital. I'm feeling well, but I'm hoping to go home in a couple days. I've had a LOT of folks come by, which means a lot. My bigger concern is for Natalie and the girls, of course.

This has been an absolutely SURREAL experience. Thank you for all the prayers and support. I will try to keep you posted - it's kinda nice to post this from my hospital bed!

God is good! I believe I have been spared for significant reasons. That would be the 3 other folks who live in my house.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Up and writing, eh?? That is good to see!!

Becky let us know and then your mom called us too- we can't stop thinking about you all! God IS AWESOME.

Constantly praying...
Ann

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, I told the folks at the gym downstairs what happened and they literally dropped their jaws. They're all hoping for a speedy recovery (we ALL are) and are so glad everything turned out as it did. Take best care and know that we miss you around here!
Miss ya!!
Jeannine

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,

I am one of those folks at the gym whose jaw dropped! A shock, to say the least. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chuck

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE!?!!

[In case your wondering on the inflection and pronunciation of the aforementioned 'dude', say it like you're speaking to one of the healthiest people you know who just had a heart attack...]

Seriously, glad to hear you're feeling better. The hospital is about 10 minutes from my house, so let me know if need anything.

John

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home