Friday, July 08, 2005

US 10K Classic

Well, I've decided to run in the US 10K Classic on Labor Day morning. (www.us10k.org) It is here in Marietta, GA. I'm signing up with a group from Grace Pointe. Don't know how many of them will be there, or will actually run (jog) the course. Well, at least we should start together! But there's one thing about this race...

The course is FULL of HILLS! BIG HILLS! And the whole course is net uphill - by a lot!

I've run the first leg (probably the first 2 miles) of that course a few times before during my lunchtime runs, back when my company was at our old office. That office was near the start of the race, and I would sometimes run up (!) to the Cobb Parkway intersection with Windy Hill. It's QUITE a climb.

So I need to adjust my training to include more hills, more frequently. I still have the GIANT MEGA-STEEP hill near my current office, which is at the end of my normal run there. It is too steep, honestly, for me to run the whole thing so far, but I'm working my way up to running more and more of it. It will help me to have an occasional training partner, and my friend Carla is also signing up for the race, and needs the hill work at least as much as I - she runs on a treadmill most of the time. So we'll be shooting to run together most Saturdays, I guess (hope). I will definitely need the work! Perhaps we will be able to push one another to a better time. There are some convenient hills (say what?) for training near my neighborhood.

I've been thinking about the goal I want to set for myself. I'm still fuming over missing my half-marathon goal of 2:00:00 back in 1998 by eleven seconds! And that was due to my over-hydration before the start, which meant that I spent nearly the entire 13 miles needing to pee REALLY BADLY. Anyone who has run any sort of distance understands just how much focus is required just to keep moving properly. I had far too much of my focus diverted to keeping the valve shut and missed my goal by eleven stinkin' seconds. My legs felt fine, my breathing was fine. GRRRR!!

I haven't been tracking my pace recently. Perhaps I should track that during the hill training and use that as a basis. I'd like to shoot for 45-50 minutes as a goal. That's between a 7:15 and 8:00 mile pace. I'm not looking to set any land speed records here - just want to have fun with it and have a good reason to continue to get in better shape. I have my weight below 170 for the first time in quite a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home