Friday, January 19, 2007

Central themes...

Becky perceived a central theme from reading this entire blog. First of all, wow, that you would even bother with reading all of this. Second, you're exactly correct.

It may well be the central theme of my "adult" life (in quotes because I may never actually consider myself an adult!) that I wrestle with my church heritage. While it is always easy to criticize, and hindsight is 20/20, etc. - I really do wrestle with my church heritage. The certainty with which we have stated positions (which were really INTERPRETATIONS). Our insistence, not only on being right, or striving to be right, but that we ARE right. The black-and-white way (not racial, but binary) things were/are taught. My own journey of faith has not led me to many of the same conclusions or interpretations that I was given. In fact, the very idea that I call them "interpretations" rather than "truth" would send some folks over the edge!

Not surprisingly, there are (at least) two teachings that I simply do not agree with. The first is that God cares at all whether or not we use musical instruments (I just LOVE that they're referred to as "mechanical instruments." Good grief...). The second (as the father of daughters) is the way we have disallowed women to have a voice.

Another aspect of my church heritage that I think is an absolute SIN is the way we've treated people who honestly disagree with us, especially about the aforementioned issues. We've made EVERYTHING a test of fellowship, a condition of salvation. (I have experienced this personally.) There is simply NO WAY that this is the way of Jesus. We've lived in fear - fear of being wrong (even in one tiny issue, which is all it would take to send us to...), fear of God (in an unhealthy, paranoid, inconsistent with revelation sense), fear of success and blessing, fear of growth, fear of change. We've turned inward, and in many ways forsaken the mission of Jesus for the sake of preserving "truth" (meaning our interpretations of scripture) and "the church" (meaning our tribe, the ONE TRUE CHURCH *sigh*). We have fallen more in love with the Bible than with Jesus. We have worshiped the word rather than the Word.

I want to repent of ALL of this. I have spent years trying to, trying to remain in this fellowship yet be an agent of change without being an agent of disunity. I don't know how I'm doing in this regard - but I'm not at a destination, I'm on a journey. I'm trying to be like Jesus in my family and raise my children to have a faith of their own. I am ABSOLUTELY not "there" yet, but I am certain that He will welcome me home when the time comes.

Becky, thanks for taking the time to read all of this - you honor me. As I say in the heading, I'm doing this to get to know myself a bit better. Even stating some of this today helps in that regard.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about wanting to be an "agent of change without being an agent of disunity". That is a good way to put it. The thing that gets me is that I know there are so many "Church of Christ" people who are as cynical as I am about these issues and really would agree with you if you really pressed them, but they are living in fear of "offending" other people who they PERCIEVE think in the traditional way. It makes me wonder if a good many of us are on the same page, but no one has the courage to do anything about it (don't ask me WHAT we would do because I really don't know). I am not necessarily afraid of "rocking the boat" because I have read enough examples of Jesus doing just that, but I certainly do not ever want to bring a spirit of animosity and division to my church (or any other collective group of Christians). It may be a matter of waiting for some of the "old people" to die off (I know, that is awful), but for most of these issues I feel that I can "suck it up" and do without clapping if change would mean losing souls. It is just frustrating because the whole thing (being so uptight about non-important things) seems so ridiculous and unnecessary. I just wish I could take a poll and see what people REALLY think and not just what they feel they are expected to think.

On a better note, I like this whole blog thing. It is a great way to get to know people you already know (and yourself, as you have pointed out). I recently started one too (bekster.blog.com). It's nice to be able to vent without people getting sick of your grumbling (and sometimes you even get some feedback). :)

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you both, "rocking the boat" can be a very good thing. Mike, as you know you and I had a long conversation in the staff cabin during camp and it really is a catch twenty-two. My agenda is one whats best for PBC as a whole, which unfairly makes it my job to bite my tongue. Of course, posting on a blog can be dangerous I suppose but I will just have to hope that "big brother" doesn't keep up with it. I am finding as time goes on however that Hendersonville is becoming more and more progressive. During singing on Sunday morning about 20% of the congregation clapped during "I Will Call Upon The Lord" Kinda blew my mind.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

Oooh Danny, Becky and Mike. I'm afraid I'm going to have to report all of you to the Church of Christ Pontiff. (oh wait we don't have that.) Maybe I'll report you to the CoC Board of Bishops.(hmm, we don't have that either.)

Well, I guess I'll just have to do the true CoC action, send a letter to your elders disfellowshipping you, you're entire congregation, and possibly your great aunt's second cousin once removed.

After all, it's my duty as a CoCer to report any and all "Biblical" violations to the world. (insert sarcasm here.)

It's good to see minds at work for a unified purpose. My biggest question is, how does the CoC, which originally was a unification attempt, now become a exclusive body. Seems a little oxymoronic to me.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home