Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More on Big Dreams

I've put myself in a bind here, because I need to keep some of my big dreams private in order to preserve them (because long-term anonymity is a part of it). However, I'm glad some of you are taking the challenge of seriously considering the question.

I do not think that delineations of "for me" and "for God" are a good way to think. I do not belong to me. I am already bought and paid for. If the "for me" things do not have a "for God" component/angle then they need to go away. Yeah, I know that this is a bit "black and white" but I do think that this is a good way to think (at least aspirationally).

It is a dream of mine for PBC to be viable and growing (in attendance and influence) over the next 40 years even more so than it has for the prior 40.

It is a dream of mine to see my daughters saved and pure when the time comes for them to marry (if that happens).

It is a dream of mine that my wife will someday know just how much I love her.

It is a dream of mine to quit working for a living before I am 50.

That's enough for now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul Murphy said...

I have a dream of

Soloing Everest.

Running a marathon

Playing free safety for the Seattle Seahawks

Going to the Olympics



Sometimes I dream about...

Joining the army

Taking the Word to Islamic nations

Starting an orphanage in Sudan



Just to throw some stuff out there. Some will happen, some won't.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Coach Sal said...

Back in my youth as a presbyterian-in-training, I had to memorize the westmister chatechism. I only remember the first one, some 30 years later: "What is the chief end of man? The chief end of man is to worship God and glorify Him." I think I can do that by being an excellent husband, father, teacher, and coach, who is known to be a Christian and whose Chrstianity is seen as part of the package that contributes to success in all those areas. So, winning a high school state track championship, or going to my kid's soccer games, or lecturing about Winston Churchill 5 times today can all be tools to glorify God. I don't have any "big" irons in the fire, life-dream-wise, right now. But the little things mean a lot.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would totally get in on that orphanage action if ya ever needed back up! Oh, and if you go to the olympics I'm totally going in my old pep dress and pom poms for ya;) I would try out to be a Seahawks cheerleader but seriously, it's Seattle.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...these posts have me thinking...as do Becky's previous comments, I do echo her thoughts...

How about having $20 at the end of the week?

Or that you aren't the only "normal" person in your family? (Well, there ARE more than one of us on MY side- SMILES) Or that your husband isn't the only one in his?

Seriously, though, we "dreamed" of going XC with our kids in an RV (this was before we even HAD kids and we were never quite sure how we were going to DO it)...but we did.

And we dreamed of being debt-free and more stable- and we're definitely closer to that one than ever.

I really WANT all of us to be together in heaven- ya'll included. That's not really something I dream of, but more of a want and a hopeful reality.

Well, enough said for now.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home