Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Almost time for the beach!

We leave next Monday to go to Folly Beach with all of my siblings and my mom. Dad comes out in the evenings, after his round of golf. It'll be the 4 of us, plus my Mom, plus my younger sister Melissa, her husband and 3 boys, and my even younger sister, Melanie. (I'm 2 1/2 years older than Missy, and almost 9 years older than Mel.) Missy and family live in Cary, NC. Melanie lives in Centreville, VA (suburb of DC). We have assembled at Folly Beach (about 15 minutes from the house where we grew up) for the past several years. It's a very non-commercialized beach, which is nice. Although as my oldest nephew is now 15, I'm wondering how much longer he's going to hang around with the rest of the young kids. I guess all things change... Somehow, I feel this will be a transition year in that regard.

It's also kinda nice to know your way around town while on vacation! Charleston is a beautiful city, and it has a lot of REALLY GREAT restaurants. One evening the 3 Polutta kids and spouses (as applicable) will go out to eat at a good restaurant while Mom (Nana) and Dad (Pop Pop) keep the grandkids. It's always a treat. My favorite restaurant we've done was called My Tho (pronounced "mee tah" - there's a "long vowel" symbol over the o, but I don't know how to do that in Blogger), it was a Thai-American-Continental blended cuisine restaurant. Sadly, I must point out that the operative word in that sentence is "was." It was a great place, but was not open the following year. Bummer.

For some bizarre reason, the rentals at Folly run from Monday to Monday. I have no idea why. I'd prefer a Saturday to Saturday, but mostly for this reason: I've become fond of having a day at home before having to return to work. Nice decompression day, find my bearings again, etc. Nonetheless, it'll be good to see family again. I'm hoping that I'll get up early one morning and run the new Cooper River Bridge, hopefully with Mom. It just opened to foot traffic last weekend, and opens to cars on 7/16. Mom walked it twice last weekend, and was interviewed for the local news both nights!

This will probably be it for vacations until the holidays. Gotta enjoy them when you can...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home