Friday, November 09, 2007

A good report

I met with my doctor to discuss my blood work and my emotions.

First, my cholesterol is WAY down, at about 123, with HDL and LDL basically even. Triglycerides are also way down from earlier levels. The only concern point relates to the liver enzyme, which was a bit elevated (out of range). This will be rechecked in 1 month, and if it is still elevated/trending up then we will likely want to reduce the Lipitor dose. I am currently taking the largest Lipitor available, the 80mg dose. Again, with the exception of the liver enzyme number, simply a stellar blood work report.

As for the emotions - my doctor's hunch was that this is a delayed post-trauma reaction. However, to prove whether or not the beta blocker (Atenolol) was causing the depression, I am in a 2-week hiatus from Atenolol. What I can say now is that I will likely never take that medication again for the rest of my life. It took about 3 days for the last dose to work its way out of my system, but last Wednesday "the sun came out" and I've been able to feel almost normal (whatever that is) again.

I had my Nuclear Stress Test on Tuesday. It was hard, but I took it to the top level of exertion before turning it down. I also had an echo done. I will review these with my doc next Friday (a week from today) and I'm hopeful that he will release me for full exercise. In the meantime I am able to return to the gym, I just have to take it easy until I talk with him next week.

Things are looking up!

2 Comments:

Blogger bibliotecaria said...

Great! I'm rather relieved.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Coach Sal said...

Dude. You are constantly in my prayers. Hurry up and get released to run/jog/plod along/whatever it is we do now. I want to celebrate your recovery at PBC this summer with a run together.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home