Sunday, December 23, 2007

Safely in Maryland

We had a long drive yesterday, but the traffic was quite agreeable and we made it in under 12 hours, including 6 stops along the way (only 1 of which was to eat). Everyone traveled pretty well, though. I hope we have a good week - I'm glad to have the change of scenery. I haven't been away very much since my heart attack.

We listened to a very interesting book, The Giver, by Lois Lowry. It was an allegory of communism and the innate human qualities that are disposed of in the process. Yet those qualities cannot be denied - so there is a very interesting adaption by that community. The girls were very uncomfortable with the description of the society, especially in the beginning, but it led to some interesting discussions after the book was done.

We really enjoy audio books on long trips - especially when you can finish the book! Once we stayed in the car an extra 10 minutes so we could finish the book before we finished the trip!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Oh, I LOVE that book! It definitely brings up conversation...I used it when I was teaching 6th at the School of the Arts. Deep book.

Merry Christmas, ya'll!

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am all about audio books... haven't read "The Giver," but it sounds like I probably should...

Happy New Year!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home