Saturday, June 28, 2008

A new birth!

I just completed my first guitar where I made the body completely from scratch. It is a hollow mahogany body with a makore (a.k.a. African Cherry) top. Here she is.




Here's a shot of the body showing the figure in the makore. This is just clear lacquer over the top - that is the actual color of the makore. It is beautiful. I had several options for the top, and this is the one Lauren chose. I think she chose well.




The back I made a DARK reddish brown, like an old Les Paul.



The neck is a Warmoth Fatback of birdseye and rosewood. I'm in the process of making my first neck from scratch, but it isn't ready yet. I had this neck and just couldn't resist putting them together. So far it sounds really good, though I haven't really gotten to take it for a spin yet. She has some inexpensive pickups from GFS, and a P-style Megaswitch, so it has the same 5 pickup options as a PRS, but in a Telecaster shape. I just love Teles!

I already have the next one in the works (also a Telecaster shape - but this one will be a deep set neck, not a bolt-on). It is SO much fun playing a guitar I made!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tommy said...

Sweet tele! I'm going to New Orleans in the morning to help produce a CNN broadcast, won't be back until the Monday after 4th of July. I promise I will post when I get home! I'm going to learn to play the drums. I bought a practice pad and a set of sticks today; loving it!

Word...

12:05 AM  
Blogger Goode Design said...

very nice!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

absolutely GORGEOUS! Well done - hope she sounds as good as she looks!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Coach Sal said...

DUDE. That rocks.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home