Friday, August 01, 2008

CrossFit

This has been reflected from other bloggers - I am a CrossFit devotee. While this sounds like it might be a cool camp theme, it is simply the best exercise program I have ever seen or used. Go to CrossFit and check it out. The intensity level at which you are expected to push yourself consistently is something you've probably only done a few times with other workouts. The results are quick to manifest, and continue beyond your expectation. You will STAY humbled by the workouts. They are relentless. You will also feel the best sense of accomplishment when you just complete some of them, or as you decrease your time for a specific workout.

The site works on an "open source" model - it's all free. (There are "CrossFit Affiliate" gyms all over the country, where you can pay for training/guidance.) There are TONS of demonstration videos of the specific exercises (so you can learn techniques), and of the Workouts of the Day (WODs) being performed (usually at a very high level). You can sign up to have the WOD delivered in several formats.

There are calisthenics components, gymnastics components, Olympic lift/weightlifting components, and running/rowing components. (this may not be a comprehensive list) Every exercise modality is stressed beyond your current capability. Some of the moves sound so simple and easy on paper. Uh, nope. If you truly follow the methodology, you will be 'sucking wind' at the end of every workout. Hard. Wondering who took all the oxygen out of the room.

HIGHEST recommendation! At my age (nearing 46) I'm at last getting a two-pack! (grin) Maybe it'll be up to 4 before the holidays...

3 Comments:

Blogger Danny Baddeley said...

I agree, I've been trying to get up early every morning and do my workout. I've lost 4 lbs and have not been terribly consistent, but working on it. Thanks Mike.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Karisley1 said...

I can think of several good reasons that God has "reunited" me with you as a friend and Crossfit is one of them. I've been a college volleyball coach and am now a Personal Trainer for the past 10 years. I've seen many different training methods come and go. Crossfit is by far the best because of the attention to energy cycles and diversity. Thanks for recommending it and for doing this blog. I really enjoy hearing what you have to say!
Kris

8:01 AM  
Blogger Goode Design said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home