Thursday, August 14, 2008

Two words

To revisit a mode of blog post from a few months ago...

Here are two words, the use of which I would like to SEVERELY restrict.

1. "Awesome" - My wife correctly states that only God is awesome. At best, other things are "cool" or "good" - but definitely do not make the cut for what "awesome" should represent.

2. "Like" - Do I have to explain? This word is a HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS VIRUS. I hear so many adults misusing this word in EXACTLY the same way a "Valley Girl" did 25 years ago. It is not just kids.

"He was like, being SO lazy. So she was like, 'Get up and HELP ME!' It was like, sooooo uncomfortable."

In the immortal words of Count Rugen, "STOP SAYING THAT!"

Was it LIKE that, or was it THAT? Did he SAY THAT or only something SIMILAR TO THAT? My wife says this is like "ummmm" in that the speaker is having a brain cramp and feels compelled to keep the mouth moving until the brain un-cramps. We actually instituted a "Like Tax" in our house this summer - for every misuse of "like" the offender must pay 10 cents. I should have enough for a nice dinner out for my wife and me, if folks would, like, PAY the tax. (grin)

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Sorry about making you think about the poor little boy with no mom . . . :o)

Kacey used to do the "like" thing so much that Greg and I would do it as well, only we would use the word "similar". We sounded like complete idiots, but, like, I think we made our point with her!

1:34 PM  
Blogger bekster said...

I understand.

However, what IS the proper thing to do when you have a brain cramp? How do you give yourself time to think in between phrases without giving others a foothold to interrupt?

I admit that I have a hard time with this, whether it's "like," "um," "y'know," or... y'know... anything like, um... that.

I know it's wrong and I hate it, but I don't know what else to do.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Goode Design said...

This post was totally awesome! I, like, totally agree!

You forgot the word: "Dude." You'd become mute if that word were taxed in your home. LOL!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home